GrahamsBloggerNovelTemplate

Whither the Conservative Movement pg. 5

Goldwater, 1964a, quote I.C.1). It was a problem in its own right, too, resulting in a further reduction in liberty for citizens (Goldwater, 1957, quote I.A.10; Goldwater, 1961, quote I.B.3).

Goldwater was also aware of economic problems that stemmed from over-taxation (Goldwater, 1961, quote I.B.4). Even so, it was the deficit that was the legitimate primary focus of conservative attention – so much so that it trumped partisanship (Goldwater, 1957, quote I.A.2, I.A.3, I.A.5). However, the stance against the budget was not based on simple economics, but on the greater principle of freedom. As such, the deficit was of even greater consequence than taxes (Goldwater, 1957, quote I.A.4; Goldwater, 1964a, quote I.C.3) or economic inefficiencies (Goldwater, 1957, quote (I.A.2, I.A.3, I.A.5.

The result is an ideology that is elegant in its simplicity, but capable of completing a circle of logic that can be confusing if not followed precisely. For Barry Goldwater, government was intended to be limited. When it overstepped those bounds, it did so at the expense of citizens’ liberty. When it taxed those same citizens in order to pay for its actions, it was a further reduction of liberty. Deficit spending was an even greater sin because it stole the liberty of future generations even beyond the immediate reduction of liberty. It is significant that the attack is on “excessive” taxation – taxation caused by irresponsible spending and reaching beyond the means of legitimate government.

Go on to Page 6